Your company’s social media accounts are susceptible to offline and online interlopers. By making sure that your accounts are secure you can keep these bad guys out, you just have to follow the below tips:
- Use unique and strong passwords:Always create a unique and complex password for each social media account. If you’re having trouble in remembering your growing list of complex passwords, suggested using a password manager.
- Monitor third party apps:Regularly check third-party apps that have access to your social media account. Revoke access, if you no longer need the app. I usually do with Twitter and avoid accepting third-party apps on Facebook.
- When in doubt, avoid clicking:Definitely, you won’t click on a link in a direct message on Twitter which says, “There is a rumor going on around about you,” or “somebody is saying horrible things about you,” or similar. Nor you would click on a link to a sketchy looking video on Facebook. But for the less obvious spammy links and definitely for those which ask you to download something- avoid clicking if you’re doubtful.
- Enable 2-step verification:2 Step verification gives more security layer. Enable it on social media accounts which support it like Google and Facebook.
- Use HTTPS:When accessing your social media accounts through a browser on public networks always use the encryption enabling https protocol.
- Secure your laptop, tablet and phone:Make sure that your mobile devices including tablet and laptop are password protected in case they are lost or stolen.
- Log out of accounts:If you’re using your social media accounts through a browser, log out when you’re done. This will give an extra layer of an advantage of keeping the social networks by tracking your browser activity. Make sure you log out of your accounts each time you use. This may take your lots of time, but the hassle is worth the security.
Today safety and offline & online interlopers are among the biggest issues for Internet-based businesses, particularly if a company owns social media accounts where they communicate with their customers on a routine basis. You have to take precautions to ensure the security of these social media accounts from such intruders who may influence these accounts to pull off exploitative activities to their unsuspicious followers. Make sure you always check the default privacy settings when opening accounts with social media websites.